Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Rules and Operating Points17 posts
Posted
Several cards i have encountered have consequences formulated like:

"Each involved character takes a {XXX} card & {-2 durability pips}."

Other cards use the word "and" instead of "&":

"Each involved character takes a {XXX} card and {YYY} card."

The explicit use of "&" instead of "and" seems to imply that "&" should be interpreted differently than "and". Which of the following is the correct interpretation of the first example shown above:

1) "Each involved character takes a {XXX} card and the group takes a total of {-2 pips} (shared among the group, as described on page 17)."

2) "Each involved character takes a {XXX} card and the group takes {-2 pips} per character (shared among the group, as described on page 17)."

3) "Each involved character takes a {XXX} card and each involved character takes {-2 pips} (applied only to their own Inventory)."

4) Something different.

?

i currently use interpretation #1 because (A) it most closely matches the rules on page 17 and (B) because there "must" be some significance regarding its use of "&" instead of "and" , but i also feel that #2 might be the intended interpretation, as it scales the penalty with the number of characters. (On the other hand, more characters means fewer Inventory items each, so the pip penalty might not need to be scaled.)
Posted - Edited
Maybe is it a typo problem ?
In french, we don't give different meaning for "&/and".

I tag this topic for the author.
resource_fire Firebird resource_fire (ma ludothèque)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
T7Citadel : card_type_temporary_event
Posted
Hi,
"&" and "and" have the same meaning here.

"&" is mostly used when it applies to different effects such as "takes a {XXX} card & {-2 durability pips}" where "and" usually applies for the same effet "take card XXX and card YYY".
Posted
BrunoS wrote:
Hi,
"&" and "and" have the same meaning here.

"&" is mostly used when it applies to different effects such as "takes a {XXX} card & {-2 durability pips}" where "and" usually applies for the same effet "take card XXX and card YYY".

Great, thank you :).

Which of the multiple interpretations of "each character takes XXX &/and -Y pips" listed in the top post is correct?
Posted
My point of view is a weak argument, but if your example is about a climb action :action_climb:, I think the best interpretation is :
3) "Each involved character takes a {XXX} card and each involved character takes {-2 pips} (applied only to their own Inventory)."
Because each character who has failed climbing should suffer the consequences of the fall.

Sometimes, guessing the author's will behind the rule helps to better understand the rule.
I hope that Bruno could come back to check this point.
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
Posted
Firebird wrote:
My point of view is a weak argument, but if your example is about a climb action :action_climb:, I think the best interpretation is :
Because each character who has failed climbing should suffer the consequences of the fall.

My instinct is to interpret it the same way you do, but that interpretation conflicts with the rulebook's description (page 17), which says that "pip damage" is applied across the affected players, distributed as the players like. The example given on page 17 also conflicts with this interpretation, but that example only includes pip damage, and not the phrase "each player takes ... AND {pip damage}".
Posted
Ping... is there an official statement on which of the interpretations listed in the first post is the valid one for the case of "... and {-X pips}"? The interpretation which seems most appropriate (#3) contradicts the rulebook (page 17).
Posted
Sorry, but PING again.
Posted
It's not necessary to ping each day.
I know that Bruno must come here; I already flag this topic; and I'll remind him after the launch of the KS campain (when I'll ask him to review the new version of the FAQ).

Please be patient. :-)
While waiting for an official response, use the interpretation that suits you best: the game will remain balanced overall whatever your decision.
Posted
Sorry! I somehow strangely missed that it was pinged just before, that was unintentionally rude (or rather, blind) of me! I saw only the time stamp of the post above dated about 24 days ago. Will pay more attention to the hidden numbers both in and out of the game from now on! :)
Posted
No problemo. Hasta la vista ! 8-)
Posted
Hello !
A french player asked the same question recently and the author answer him : here

I'm sorry but I don't have time now to translate the message with the required attention. :blush:
I hope it will help you anyway !
Posted
sgbeal wrote:
Firebird wrote:

My instinct is to interpret it the same way you do, but that interpretation conflicts with the rulebook's description (page 17), which says that "pip damage" is applied across the affected players, distributed as the players like. The example given on page 17 also conflicts with this interpretation, but that example only includes pip damage, and not the phrase "each player takes ... AND {pip damage}".

The pipe damage is applied across the affected player UNLESS a specific character is targeted like "the active character" or "all characters involved". In this case each character apply the pipe damage.
7/12 :flag_curse_sm: reste : WGUMCD(\VT\CC)+DV+TS
7 :icon_curse:(2 DV-1 SI-1 CD-1 OG-1 PV-1 PN) 101h :action_think:
Armaggedon en cours ! :w00t::sandglass:
Posted
Firebird wrote:
A french player asked the same question recently and the author answer him : here

Is there any chance a French speaker could translate that answer from Bruno for us here? i don't speak a word of French and don't trust automated translation tools.
Posted
Translated!
Feel free to correct my english if needed ;-)

BrunoS wrote:
Hi everyone,

Pipounet wrote:
The third, (A0227), in case of failure Each participant draw a card :card_pick: and :card_pick: & -2:icon_d6:.
Because the proposal is starting with "each participant..." should we:
1> Apply to each participant the loss of 2 resistance points in their own inventory.
2> Is the loss globally only 2 and is it - as in the previous example - distributed among all the objects of the participants.
3> Each participant "generates" a loss of 2 points of resistance which is to be distributed among all the inventories of the participants as they wish (2 participants, 4 pts, 3 participants 6, etc ..)?

1> Apply to each participant the loss of 2 resistance points in their own inventory.

When the loss of resistance is not specifically associated with the active player or each participant or random participant, it is distributed among the participants freely. In the opposite case, it is the target(s) concerned who applies it.

For the effect "[resistance -2] and/& each participant", you can freely distribute the loss between the participants and then the rest of effect is applied to each participant.

Pipounet wrote:
The fourth card (A0236) present a similar concern - but still different - that will also challenge you now that we saw the first three cards. Here is the text of the card concerned:

:action_condition::action_craft: (:resource_wood::resource_bamboo::resource_bone::resource_vine:) If your reveal a :icon_curse: car at the Result step of this action, you fall in your turn: draw a :card_pick: card & -1:icon_d6:
Translator message: I translated this text from french. It is certainly different from the text in your english version of the game. Feel free to correct me and I'll edit this message.

What happens if there are more people involved in the action :action_craft: and a :icon_curse: card appears?

1> Each participant takes a :card_pick: card AND reduces the resistance of one of his objects?
2> Only the active player?
3> One of the participants, not especialy the active player, takes a :card_pick: card, and the group assume the loss of 1 :icon_d6:?
4> The loss of 1 :icon_d6: is multiplicated by the number of participants and assumed by the whole group.

In this card "The misfortune of some" the target is effectively not clearly identified "you reveal" / "you fall in your turn": the consequence should concern only the active player.

Bruno
Les pérégrinations d'un Ludopathe dans le monde ludique : https://LeLudopathe.fr
Posted
Arnaud wrote:
Translated!

Merci ! 8-):thumb_up:
Posted
Arnaud wrote:
Translated!

Thank you very much! :thumb_up:
Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Rules and Operating Points17 posts