Forums/ The 7th Continent/ 2nd Kickstarter Campaign26 posts
Posted - Edited
@Setha: I looked up several definitions for scalpers, and none of them shows scalpers as something positive. So i hardly get the impression that i'm projecting my opinion on others.

I never said that there isn't anybody who wants to use the service scalpers provide, i said that they weren't asked for.

Someone being desperate enough in his wish to get a ticket to pay scalpers doesn't make him like what they do.

To say that scalpers are justified because they exist means effectively that everything is justified, else it wouldn't exist.

As i said before, scalpers are people who try to make profit by artificially widening the gap between supply and demand. People who pledge for a couple of copies of a game at KS and resell them later for an upmarked price for example aren't scalpers. Of course, if in your opinion scalper is just a synonym for reseller then i can't probably have a point in your opinion. But i usually don't think in only rough categories, so two people doing similar things can actually be found in different categories.

On your brilliant example about the iPod in the Apple store: ok, i see that you must have a different definition for scalpers, as where you are from scalpers are the people checking tickets in a concert to make sure only people that paid for visiting get in.

You know, just stating some of your personal opinions as facts doesn't make you right.
Posted
I'd be interesting to know at some point how many people have subscribed to the newsletter in order to get one copy of this piece of art. I wish you luck, OP, we're in the same boat.
Posted
Unisus wrote:
@Setha: I looked up several definitions for scalpers, and none of them shows scalpers as something positive. So i hardly get the impression that i'm projecting my opinion on others.

Let's try an official source, not your urban dictionary. http://www.m-w.com.

3: to buy and sell so as to make small quick profits
scalp stocks
scalp grain
especially : to resell at greatly increased prices
scalp theater tickets
intransitive verb

1 : to take scalps
2 : to profit by slight market fluctuations

There's nothing positive or negative implied here....unless you suggest that "profit" is a nasty term, but then I'd just call you a communist and be done with the conversation :-).
Unisus wrote:
You know, just stating some of your personal opinions as facts doesn't make you right.

Yup, lol. That's some delicious irony there.

Unisus wrote:
To say that scalpers are justified because they exist means effectively that everything is justified, else it wouldn't exist.

That was never the argument, but it doesn't surprise me you would either misread or fabricate some softball point that was easy to discount.

Unisus wrote:
As i said before, scalpers are people who try to make profit by artificially widening the gap between supply and demand. People who pledge for a couple of copies of a game at KS and resell them later for an upmarked price for example aren't scalpers. Of course, if in your opinion scalper is just a synonym for reseller then i can't probably have a point in your opinion.

Actually that is exactly what they are. Just because you choose a derogatory word doesn't make the activity any different. One person calls a temporary worker a "scab", but that doesn't make the action immoral. Just some like to pretend it is because they don't like it. You are making a circular argument, and don't even recognize it. It goes something like this. Scalpers are immoral, because the definition of scalping is universally negative. Therefore the action that scalpers execute is immoral. Why is it immoral? Because it's scalping, gosh darn it. Well who is a scalper then? Whoever I say it is!! In the land of not-make-believe the rest of us have to apply definitions impartially and without prejudice.

And even when it is pointed out that the same action isn't condemned in other circles, you fall back to your personal opinions and personal definitions.

So what you are saying... is that scalpers who profit by making small quick profits, are different from resellers who make small quick profits by pledging a KS and reselling it at a profit? M-kay. Makes perfect sense, lol. And of course dare I point out that no "reseller" in the history of, lets say, EVER, set out to NOT make a profit from reselling, lol. They all want to make some profit. One can only suppose that your definition is simply demonizing those who are a bit *better* than others at spotting these small quick profits to be made.

Unisus wrote:
But i usually don't think in only rough categories, so two people doing similar things can actually be found in different categories.

The problem here is that your distinctions are entirely arbitrary. And you justify by simply using definition demagoguery. Your argument is no different than someone saying that because the "n" word is negative, it is justified in it's use against those who it applies to. Why? Because it's negative and is used to refer to a group of people. However, more enlightened people can see that this is a fallacious argument, just like yours is. I've already destroyed your argument that scalpers somehow manipulate market conditions, like concert ticket prices. So without that leg, you are left with nothing to stand on, other than to claim scalpers are bad because of mumble, mumble, mumble, and they are different from "resellers" because of mumble, mumble, mumble.

Unisus wrote:
On your brilliant example about the iPod in the Apple store: ok, i see that you must have a different definition for scalpers, as where you are from scalpers are the people checking tickets in a concert to make sure only people that paid for visiting get in.

Um, now you are just downright lying about what I said in order to declare victory. That's actually what YOU said and I was responding against it, that the scalpers are NOT the ticket takers, as you had said that they control whether people get to see a performer or not, unless you paid them to get in. You can't twist my words and not get caught by me, and no one else is reading this, so why are you trying to do so? Hm.
Posted
SethA wrote:
You know, if I try to force my way into the Apple store to grab an iPad, they won't open the door to let me back out without paying either. Gasp! Those dirty b@stards!!! Actually wanting to get paid for the product before giving it to me.


Directly quoted from you. Describing how someone just is kept from stealing - maybe i misunderstood, but i thought you tried to show how scalpers just enforce the law so you don't visit a concert you haven't paid for. Else i don't see any relevance of your example.

But i already understand: scalper is just another word for vendor, and you usually refer to everyone selling things they don't produce themselves as scalper. No problem. It's just not what people usually have in mind when speaking about scalpers.
Posted
I skipped over all the banter about scalping.

I just wanted to share that I'd also love to purchase this game and all the expansions after it comes back up for sale. This looks amazing and hopefully more copies will become available over time. I bet there's a lot of others that feel the same. So fingers crossed this becomes more widely available soon!
Posted
Yes, me to ! When is the online shop planning to open ?
Forums/ The 7th Continent/ 2nd Kickstarter Campaign26 posts