Forums/ The 7th Continent/ General8 posts
Posted
I have ordered 7th continent with the second wave, but I'm still figuring out who I will be playing this game with. I would love to play with my girlfriend, but I'm not sure if this is a game she would like and I don't want to stop halfway and play with someone else back from start.

So I was wondering, does the game come with a small tutorial/demo story that can be used to try the game out before going to the main game?
Posted
Hi'
You can already download "The crystal's song" which is a kind of tutorial/demo (you can find it in the "Ressources" section). This curse is about 2h long and can be print and play. You will discover the game even if the main game is much better.
Posted
Myriade wrote:
Hi'
You can already download "The crystal's song" which is a kind of tutorial/demo (you can find it in the "Ressources" section). This curse is about 2h long and can be print and play. You will discover the game even if the main game is much better.

You cannot play The Crystal's Song standalone - you have to own the base game.

There is a PnP demo available from the first Kickstarter campaign. It gives a decent feel for the gameplay, but it it important to note that several of the rules and mechanics have changed since then. You'll also want to download the Alpha version of the rules to match the PnP cards.
Posted
The PnP demo is not very representative : no exploration (2 terran cards) and a puzzle that made debate because of the "meta" side of its resolution.

When the box will be in your hands, you should play the first part of the curse "The Voracious Goddess" : this small island before the Continent is perfect to learn the rules and discover the spirit of the game. Count a 2 hours session (compare to the ~20-30 hours for the entire curse).
After that, if your wife doesn't like the game, you can use the rule "Leaving a game in progress" with her character and continue your game in solo.
resource_fire Firebird resource_fire (ma ludothèque)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
T7Citadel : card_type_temporary_event
Posted
nintendojunkie wrote:
You cannot play The Crystal's Song standalone - you have to own the base game.

My bad ... I muddled the crystal song and the demo of the game.

Firebird wrote:
a puzzle that made debate because of the "meta" side of its resolution.

This puzzle does not really match the main game. I always found weird to have chose this one for the demo

ps : excuse my english, my french is better, for sure.
Posted
I think the story there is that the demo is quite a bit older than the main game.

They altered the design of puzzles in the main game because people reacted badly to that one.
Posted
So I can still use the pnp examples to get a feel, but some of the rules have changed in the main game?
Posted - Edited
Yeah. You can use it to get a feel for the game, but it's got a few major differences.

Here's what you have to be aware of:

-7C's all about exploration and scale, the PNP is tiny and won't convey that feeling.
-There's a hidden number puzzle that a lot of color printers make almost unreadable. Watch for it!
-There's only one real puzzle in the PNP (the 'turtle note' puzzle) and it's pretty nonsensical. No puzzle in the real game is that confusing, and the ones that come closest aren't required.
-States are just normal numbered cards in the real game, they no longer have a unique back
-Movement rules have changed entirely since the P&P, and the P&P only has two space. It might be better to just say that you can move freely between those spaces, instead of trying to learn the P&P movement rules and then relearn them in the real game
Forums/ The 7th Continent/ General8 posts