Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Rules and Operating Points26 posts
Posted
That is my preferred fix also.
Posted
As soon as you get the Spike Trap, the combo is live again though. Basically unlimited free durability at the cost of keeping one card in hand. Still way overpowered. Bruno's proper nerf for me.
Posted
If this is more problematic than all the other combos that exist, it is only because it's accessible from the very beginning of the run. Infinite durability is a more limited and less useful output than most of them -- many of the others give you unlimited cards back from the discard, unlimited XP, let you buy all the advanced skills... Really game-breaking stuff. If this is getting nerfed and Dark Side isn't, it can only be because Dark Side requires a lot of setup, whileas this is just sort of laying on the ground, it's just something Anjika does with no setup at all.

Requiring you find a specific advanced skill to set it up brings it down to the level of, for example, the Scholar/Terracokus combo, which requires a specific Botany card before you can use it.
Posted
brisingre wrote:
That is my preferred fix also.

Granted I have not yet played with Anjika, but I would think that removing her ability to clear cards out of item stacks would be a significant enough nerf as to make her not worth choosing to begin with. So I would agree with this -- "a different card" instead of "1 card".
Posted
brisingre wrote:

If we're talking rewordings to fix this: HikariSunshine's works, I think, but I have a better one:

"You may discard 1 card with the keyword stealth from your hand or inventory to choose a different card with the keyword aggressiveness in the Discard Pile and add it to your hand."

This is just her existing ability with "1" changed to "a different".

Bruno made it quite clear the point in her ability’s wording is that they never meant to let us add back to our hand the same card that got discarded.
Maybe limiting the discard from hand may feel too much of a nerf, but the point stands: you have to choose a different card to pick back up.
Posted - Edited
That's the intent, but it's not what the card says -- which is why it requires errata in the first place.

Bruno's confirmed it wasn't meant to be a one-card loop, but by confirming that it wasn't intentional and would require errata to the card to fix he also confirmed that, rules-as-written, cards-as-printed, it technically works just like OP wanted it to.

Knowing that it wasn't intentional you could house-rule against it and that'd be good enough for you, and indeed for most people reading this thread probably. But Bruno thought it might be worth issuing errata to Anjika for, perhaps so the fix would reach a wider audience, perhaps so it could be considered "properly" fixed in the game itself, rather than just papered over with a suggestion from Bruno and a house rule, perhaps in anticipation of eventually printing another errata/upgrade pack... I can only speculate of course.

So, my suggestion was just to errata it to work technically under the rules as it was always intended to work (pick a different card than the one you discarded) with no other changes to the ability, rather than the more extreme hand-only nerf (which would also remove the somewhat-less-unfair Spike Trap loop, at the cost of also removing many 100% fair uses of the ability.)

Compared to the intent made clear in this thread, it wouldn't be a change at all. It'd just enshrine this comment in the errata list, rather than just being a ruling (and a relatively informal one) in a thread somewhere.
Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Rules and Operating Points26 posts