Forums/ The 7th Continent/ General6 posts
Posted - Moved
Hello, This may be a super dumb question and potentially in the wrong spot on this forum :)

So, I just got my WGUMCD 2nd box expansion in the mail as well as all the expansions and am busy opening everything. My question is that with all the expansions it seems all the cards are labelled in such a way that they are meant to be mixed in the big box only when you play that specific curse, would this be correct? Or can I mix all the new cards I have into box 1 & 2 and play any curse I want at any time?

Thanks in advance!
Posted - Moved
Fastpanda wrote:
Hello, This may be a super dumb question and potentially in the wrong spot on this forum :)

So, I just got my WGUMCD 2nd box expansion in the mail as well as all the expansions and am busy opening everything. My question is that with all the expansions it seems all the cards are labelled in such a way that they are meant to be mixed in the big box only when you play that specific curse, would this be correct? Or can I mix all the new cards I have into box 1 & 2 and play any curse I want at any time?

Thanks in advance!

Short answer is you can mix in everything and never have to remove anything. Certainly you are not expected to play the expansions one at a time and sort out expansion cards between plays.

Long answer:
So, there's two kinds of expansions.

WGUMCD, Icy Maze, Swamp of Madness, and The Forbidden Sanctuary are Curse expansions. They add a new curse, a new area more or less only accessible to that curse, and only a few miscellaneous cards to the fog decks and various other tables like 050s. If you don't start with the clue card for the curse in question, most of the cards in the expansion can't even be reached. There's not really a reason to remove one of these expansions -- even if you disliked the curse there isn't much reason to remove the expansion instead of just not playing that curse again, because they don't really change that much unless you're playing that curse.

The remaining expansion (Fear the Devourers, Facing the Elements, Path of Repentance, Flying Roots, Comfort Creatures) are non-Curse expansions. Rather than adding new curses and new areas, they try to shake up the core gameplay by adding new mechanics to existing areas, Mostly this means they add Fog cards. They change a lot more about other curses, and it is conceivable you might dislike one and want to sort it back out.

Path of Repentance and to an extent Flying Roots have setup options to disable them without having to sort out the expansion cards from the rest of the game. Facing the Elements, Comfort Creatures, and Fear the Devourers do not. If you want to play without one of these expansions, you'll have to sort out the cards, or just banish them and draw another of the same number whenever you draw a card from that expansion.

Comfort Creatures seems to be very low-key, and Facing the Elements is well-liked by almost everyone, but Fear the Devourers has some detractors, I think because it's hard and random about when it gets hard, I'm not sure. But, that's probably the one you're most likely to want to sort out.
Posted - Moved
Awesome! Thank you for your answer!

Very excited!!! We first have to finish our current game before I will mix everything in though haha.
Posted - Edited - Moved
Perfect answer, Brisinere ! :thumb_up:
Thank you very much from the community !
:experience:

I move these messages in the right place (here) to find them.
resource_fire Firebird resource_fire (ma ludothèque)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
T7Citadel : card_type_temporary_event
Posted
Something I thought to add last night:

If you're planning on tackling the curses one at a time, something to think about:

If you mix in everything at the start, it won't be obvious what new cards pertain to the expansion you just added and which ones are not. Much as you could find trailheads and clues from other curses while you were doing VG for the first time, you will be able to find bits of other expansions while you do, say, Icy Maze.

If you mix them in one a time, you'll have a fairly good heuristic that anything you don't recognize is probably just added and therefore relevant to your curse. Personally I think this sort of side-channel information is undesirable, and it is better to mix in everything and have those irrelevant clues and currently-useless mysteries to discover, but a strong case could be made that these are distractions from the curse you're playing and spoilers for the curse to which they belong. If that's your view, you should mix them in one at a time as you play them. Still no need to remove them when you're done, though.
Posted
I'm looking forward to delving into the whole thing, myself. I've had a lot of trouble getting this to the table with my gaming group, though I might have more luck now that the white box has arrived; I'm perfectly happy to have every letter A-K in my box, even if the only curse I've actually been to the end of is Voracious Goddess (well, and
Path of Repentance given what happens if you don't beat the clock
), simply because that means I'm going to see a lot of new stuff.

Good lord, but the Flying Roots are obnoxious on Tutorial Island and Turtle Island, though...
Forums/ The 7th Continent/ General6 posts