Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Rules and Operating Points6 posts
Posted
Question 1:
- In a 2 player game, how many fires can be used/on the board for a game? It says in the setup rules that "Each player takes their character's figure and one fire figure." Does that means that on a 2 player game, only 2 fires will ever be on the board? Unless you reset your map, then you get your fire figure back, and only then you can make more fires?

Question 2:
- In a 2 player game, can the same person make a fire twice on the same map? For example, if the same person has 2 fire making cards, and the board hasn't been reset, could they make the fire twice, or because of the rule "Each player takes their character's figure and one fire figure", that requires 2 different players of making each their own fire?

Question 3:
- In a 2 player game, what happens if you have placed your 2 fires on the board and you want to make a 3rd one? Are you required to reset the board first, to get your fire figure back? Or can you move your fire figure from the last location on the board and place it on the new location, without needing to reset the map?
Posted - Edited
I change the order of your questions for a better answering.

Q3/ When there is no "Fire" figure available, you take an already used figure (you choose which one) and put it into play. The old fire is out.

Q1/ In a 2 players game, you can't have more than 2 fires at the same time on board. But you can make as many fire as you want while your game, with or without save/reset (see Q3).

Q2/ When a :action_make_fire: action is done, you put into play a fire figure from any of the participed characters (you choose from which one).
In your example, if the player A (with both making fire cards) has made a first fire alone (so, his figurine is into play) :
- If he makes the second fire alone again, he must "move" his figure from the terrain of the first fire.
- If the player B participates on the action (even without activate any object), players can choose the B's fire figure.

I just writed a new FAQ entry about Fire that will be publish later in french, then in english. :)
resource_fire Firebird resource_fire (ma ludothèque)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
T7Citadel : card_type_temporary_event
Posted
Firebird: I am trying to get a grasp of the individual/shared fire figure concept from reading the thread at https://the7thcontinent.seriouspoulp.com/fr/forum/topic/87/le-feu-de-camp/page/4/271014/#271014 but my French is not so good.

Are there official rulings for the possible scenarios below? Different alternative suggestions are posted as a), b) etc, they might all be wrong of course.

1) A two character game, both character's fire figures have been set up on the terrain already. Character A makes a new fire, no other character is involved.
a) The players must remember which fire figure is his and (re-)use that for the new fire place. [difficult mechanism]
b) It is not possible to distinguish between the fire figures and we don't have a good way to remember so the active player can choose freely which fire figure to (re-)use.

2) A three character game, two fire figure's are already on the terrain and one sits with player C (as I understand, not in a pool, right?). Character A makes a new fire, no other character is involved.
a) The players must remember which fire figure is his and (re-)use that for the new fire place. [difficult mechanism]
b) It is not possible to distinguish between the fire figures and we don't have a good way to remember so the active player can choose freely which (already placed) fire figure to (re-)use, but can not choose to use the one that sits with player C.
c) The fire figures are actually an expedition pooled resource, so player A can use the one remaining unused fire figure, resulting in three fire figures on the terrain. [seems to go against what Bruno says in the other thread?]

3) A three character game, two fire figure's are already on the terrain and one sits with player C (as I understand, not in a pool, right?). Character A makes a new fire as active player, character C is also involved.
a) The players must remember which fire figure is player A's and (re-)use that for the new fire place OR use the one that sits with player C, but can not use the already placed one that has been placed by character B. The active player decides which to use. [difficult mechanism]
b) The active player (A) can choose te (re-)use one of the already placed fire figures (It is not possible to distinguish between the fire figures and we don't have a good way to remember), or use the on that sits with player C.

You could probably make even more complex scenarios, but I think the ruling has to be based on one of these two principles to keep it manageable:
Either
I) mark every (placed) fire figure or use some other technique to remember which character it belongs to
or
II) treat all the expedition's fire figures as a pooled resource, rather than individual

We play following principle II, since principle I adds a lot of unrewarding complexity/work/confusion and principle II doesn't seem to change the balance much in our experience.
Posted
Posted
From the Bruno's answers in the french forum, we can understand these following concepts :
  1. Each character has his own fire figure (keep it close to your Explorer card).
  2. A fire figure on the board doesn't belong to anyone.
  3. When you have to put into play a fire figure, use the figure of any participating character (the active one or not). If one of them has no fire figure available, you can use any figure on the board instead.

This will answer your questions:

• 1) Answer [b].
    (Note : if Answer [a] was correct (it is not the case), we could have used the character tokens to memorize the possession of the fire figurines.)

• 2) Answer [b].

• 3) Answer [b].
    Of course, using the player C figure is better (you will have 3 figures into play). But if you prefere, you can choose to ask the player A to use a old fire figure (maybe you want to turn it off).
resource_fire Firebird resource_fire (ma ludothèque)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
T7Citadel : card_type_temporary_event
Posted
All clear to me now, thanks for helping me out!
Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Rules and Operating Points6 posts