Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Rules and Operating Points10 posts
Posted
Hi, still not clear when using multiple items.
For example when doing an action, involved players can use items (more than one) in their inventories that provide one or more effect of the specified action.

So if there are more than one effect in one item slot (with more than 1 card stack), do the effects stacking?
And when using the stacking items, do you spend durability item just one (for more than one effect) or depends on how many effect used on that action?

For example the action taken has 2 effects on one item slot.
Item 1 gives 2 successes and Lucky number 7 success.
Item 2 gives 1 success and 1 number 7.

With these two effects, do players tally on the total? Or need to choose which item takes effect?
If the effects are totaled, does it still count as one use or 2 uses?

My question also works with the effect from different items, not just in a single slot.

Thanks.
Posted
Perhaps this FAQ response is of help? Note "effect(s)"!

My own interpretation (that I think is the official one):
When you use an item (stack) it always costs just one durability pip and you can apply any of the applicable effects (involving any number of item cards in the stack) that you wish.
Posted
It is quite clear from the rules on page 11 I think:
Each player involved in the action may use one or more items from their inventory, by removing 1 pip from the value of the die resting on each used item (no matter how many Item cards the item consists of). If that value reaches zero, the die is removed. For each item used this way, the player will be able to apply – at most once during the action – some or all of the effects of one or more Item cards it consists of, provided a :action_condition: icon associated with the effect matches the :action_empty: current action.
Posted
Hi :)
Vardamir wrote:
So if there are more than one effect in one item slot (with more than 1 card stack), do the effects stacking?

Yes.

Vardamir wrote:
And when using the stacking items, do you spend durability item just one (for more than one effect) or depends on how many effect used on that action?

You spend 1 durability at the beginning of the Action phase, and you decide after draw if you use 0 , 1 or more effect(s).

Vardamir wrote:
My question also works with the effect from different items, not just in a single slot.

1 Item = 1 stack of item cards = 1 die :icon_d6:
If you want to activate effects on 2 different Items, you have to spend 1+1 durability.
resource_fire Firebird resource_fire (ma ludothèque)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
T7Citadel : card_type_temporary_event
Posted
Thanks.
Also how about combining items? As the rules point out, you can increase the item durability if the newly crafted item has one of the keywords from the item already in play. But what if there are multiple stacking with different keyword?

For example if the first item has skill - stamina, and then the second has skill - stealth. The second item is valid to combine.
But if the third item has a stealth keyword without skill keyword. Is this item still possible to combine?

Thanks.
Posted
Vardamir wrote:
Also how about combining items? As the rules point out, you can increase the item durability if the newly crafted item has one of the keywords from the item already in play. But what if there are multiple stacking with different keyword?

For example if the first item has skill - stamina, and then the second has skill - stealth. The second item is valid to combine.
But if the third item has a stealth keyword without skill keyword. Is this item still possible to combine?

1. You can always combine item cards with existing items (as long as the stacking limit isn't exceeded).
  2. But the durability increase is only when there is a shared keyword between the newly added item card and the first/top item card.

The latter also quite clear from the rules page 20 I think, see the part I bolded:
If the newly combined Item card shares at least one keyword with the Item card the die is resting on (at the top of the column), its durability value is added to the value of that die to a maximum of 6).
Posted
Sorry for reviving this but I have a question that fits this and don't want to start a new topic:
If you have a combined item where one card enables you to perform an action and another to be used within that action, by how much do you have to reduce the durability of the item?

The rules (p. 21) state
A player may use an item in their inventory – by lowering its durability by 1 –either to apply some or all of the the item’s effects when they are involved in an action to which the item’s effect applies, or to take an action featured on this item.
(emphasis mine).

The either/or suggests exclusiveness as in you spend 1 point of durability to start an action, then the item phase of the action happens, in which you choose the same item stack again, lowering the durability by 1 more point, by a total of 2.

Or is the either/or not exclusive and the rule to be understood in an "and/or" way that when activating an action on an item by lowering the pip by 1, this item is already automatically available in the next action without having to use another point of durability?

The consens on bgg has been the latter case. It would be nice to get an official answer to this, though.
Posted
Brackwater wrote:
Or is the either/or not exclusive and the rule to be understood in an "and/or" way that when activating an action on an item by lowering the pip by 1, this item is already automatically available in the next action without having to use another point of durability?

This is the right reading of the rule.

(I think the "or" is here to remember that you can't make 2 actions at the same time just by -1 pip.)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
Posted
Vardamir wrote:

You wrote: Yes.

But in the FAQs it says: You choose the effect(s) to trigger, for example, the one from card N°3.
https://the7thcontinent.seriouspoulp.com/en/resources/faqs/94/#rules

The effects do not stack. You have to choose one Card from the Item stack.
Is this right? Iam confused because it is an importand and game changing rule.
Posted
hope77 wrote:
But in the FAQs it says: You choose the effect(s) to trigger, for example, the one from card N°3.
https://the7thcontinent.seriouspoulp.com/en/resources/faqs/94/#rules

The effects do not stack. You have to choose one Card from the Item stack.
Is this right? Iam confused because it is an importand and game changing rule.

In the FAQs, the example use only 1 effect on the card #3 but this is just to show that all cards of the item are discard at the end (#1 even if it was not used; #2 even if the effect is not applicable).

So, I confirm : when an item is activated (cost = just -1pip :icon_d6:), you can choose any (or none !) of the applicable effects, as a stack.
Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Rules and Operating Points10 posts