Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Rules and Operating Points5 messages
Posté
this is a spoiler free post!
I've never played
not once
never

I have not yet played the game, just seen tutorial videos (I'm a backer for the current kickstarter). From what I gather, saving the game forces the player(s) to forfeit some progress. I mean, whatever area cards you've revealed all go away with the exception of the one you're one (not to mention all players need to make their way back to the same spot before saving)*. This means that once you resume your game, more exploration cards need to be encountered, and more travel actions must be taken in order to get back to where you were before. Am i wrong in my understanding? Am I missing something?

I figure that when I play the game I'd like to save the state of the game exactly as is. This doesn't seem to be a big change, you just keep all the cards with the one special thing to pay attention to being where your characters are located, which, again, is simply kept track of by just putting those area cards behind the appropriate characters.

Anyways, just feels like you're rewarded for having longer play sessions and punished for taking breaks.
I'm curious how everybody who's played the game feels about the way the game is saved. Again, not sure if my facts are accurate, so please let me know if that's the case. Thanks in advance!

*on a side note, i'm not sure whether you just move for free when saving or need to expend energy as normal. If someone could clarify, that would be great.
Posté
There are important benefits to saving too. The punishment is not great, especially if you choose wisely where/when to save.
Posté
I also have never played before, but am curious about the same thing. It seems silly to say that you can save the game and load it up again, but.... you have explore everything all over again. I thought all the tiles that laid out the island were numbered and would always end up in the same place. If so, it would seem pretty easy to save the exploration of the whole island and just have any dynamic events reset.
Posté
Found this post on BGG. It was helpful to see other peoples opinions about the save feature.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1826049/question-about-save-feature
Posté
Sometimes I have to make space on a table (i.e. for dinner). It could happen when players are split and standard save procedure cannot be done. So I make a snapshot (by phone) and store whole map bay rows. After a pause and tide up & clean table I restore the map. Other cards I save as usual.
At the end of session players meet on the same tile, draw a map to notebook (or just make a snapshot) and proceed a standard save.
If You have the drown (snapshot) map you can decide which direction you'll explore next. It is good to wisely decide where to save. Some skills even allow to make a free campfire immediately after restore which always helps.
Take it as you go to sleep and wake up in the morning surrounded by a misty fog. You remember what has happened yesterday and you are going for further exploring.
Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Rules and Operating Points5 messages