Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Strategies & Tactics13 posts
Posted
Creating a new thread on good starting tactics.

Anyone who has play tested, give us your (non spoiler) advice.
I am Tanstalf the magnificent, short in stature, tall in power, narrow of purpose and wide of vision.
Posted - Edited
Stick together. We have generally found (in a 4 player game) that sticking together is the way to go. Our general rule is that we do all actions together unless someone opts out. We then just need to choose who is the active player.
There are exceptions:
  • If a player is paranoid they go off by themselves for a little while
  • If you know that you want to return to your current spot - leave someone behind so that you can get back cheaply

However the best tip (a little bit spoilery)
Play as Dmitri and get the Sixth Sense skill card ASAP. It lets you stack the action deck quite effectively and repeatedly.

Edited: Note that the Sixth Sense card has been corrected in the errata. Was nice while it lasted.
Posted - Edited
Thanks for sharing your experience !

A few questions for me please:
  • Are you playing with one curse? (Varacious goddess ?)
  • How hard is it with one curse?
  • How long did you play so far

Thanks !
Posted - Edited
Yes we are playing only with The Voracious Goddess and have played for about 12 hours.
It was quite difficult to start with. We had used well over half our action deck to simply get out of the starting area (before the first board reset). However once we had discovered the good action cards (including the one I mentioned above) and how to best use them, and after a bit of hunting, we were able to recover. At one stage we were able to completely clear the discard pile.

We are, however, quite lost at the moment. We took an unwise action and got swept out to sea.
We have seen clues relating to the other curses along the way, so drawing a map as you go along would help with future playthroughs.

Deciding to stop and save the game is not easy, especially if you know that you need to backtrack. The difference in cost in traveling to somewhere that is already laid out and somewhere that you have to discover again, can be quite extreme. Having to do the foggy cards again can be annoying and costly. Maybe if you couldn't so easily jump from your current location to any other connected location, then the difference in cost wouldn't be so great. This rule also makes you come up with imaginative ways of moving people, which thematically don't make sense, but minimizes the cost of getting to where you want to go.
Posted
Try to reserve crafting for when you have some of the resources at your disposal.

Put a fire down somewhere before you hunt/fish if you can - food will already eat up slots, you don't want to lose another to firestarters.

Cards that give you a free star or 2, and cards that let you rifle through the discard pile and take one are nice.

Don't do absolutely everything (if it has a cost), but spot/observe usually means hunting or fishing if its in an open area or next to water.

Always hunt the first hunt, avoid repeats unless you are well equipped and low on cards.

Failing is not always bad, often the card saving is worth the pain.

If you are stuck, or in an unusual place - be on the look out for hidden numbers on the terrain card.

Try to save after passing an interrupting event card (ones that connect two terrain cards with arrows).
Posted
newj wrote:
However the best tip (a little bit spoilery)
Play as Dmitri and get the Sixth Sense skill card ASAP. It lets you stack the action deck quite effectively and repeatedly.

With the current erratas, that isn't quite true anymore...

That card was errata'd to add "Discard this," so "repeatedly" isn't "quite" true. Yes, it can be pulled from the discards with other cards, but can't simply be used over and over.

The current errata says:
errata wrote:
Action card “Sixth sense” (ID: A0083) – front
Should read:
“Look at the top 2 cards of the Action Deck, then put them back in any order either both on top of it or both on the bottom of it. Discard this.”
Posted
Don't binge play and continue while tired. You will miss things. Added to this, don't play in bad lighting..

Remember that Bruno and Ludo are evil, and like you to backtrack :-)

I would be interested to know if anyone succeeded at 'The Voracious Goddess' on their first attempt ...
Posted - Edited
You can grind food into experience if
you find the 050 card that lets you select what cards you put into your action deck when you eat (instead of it being luck). If you pick your "knowledge is power" cards, remember cards and think cards you can cycle through them and get alot of experience per food. Rinse and repeat until your food is almost out.
Then save, reload and go hunt some more.

The best area I've found for this is
area 3. card 191 has two versions and one of them adds the necessary plant. the camp at 161 makes your thinking automatically succeed (so you can't fail knowledge is power) and you can rest to spend your experience.
Posted
@GreatCthulhu In a 3 player game, we beat the Voracious Goddess on our first attempt in normal mode in about 12 hours; however, I would say we got a little bit lucky. Frankenstein made his monster at a good point in time,
we found a couple life-saving items in the second half that worked with our stacks, and something from examining the notes helped us stay alive when food and fire were scarce.
Posted
jpolitis wrote:
The best area I've found for this is
area 3. card 191 has two versions and one of them adds the necessary plant. the camp at 161 makes your thinking automatically succeed (so you can't fail knowledge is power) and you can rest to spend your experience.

Just FYI: one of Lovecraft's skills gives him the Brains he needs to automatically succeed at that as well.
Posted
Copy-pasting from BGG my tactic for eating. Using this I won the game on my 1st attempt (2 characters, 15h).

I scouted hunting spots and whenever possible I made sure to save the game on those cards. My last actions would be to reach a hunting spot, do a hunt and fill my inventory with meat. Doing a hunt means game is depleted, but that doesn't matter because at this point I save and all the cards go back.

Upon restarting the game I'd make a fire, eat my meat, then do a second hunt, then eat again. With proper hunting equipment and two good hunts, I could easily refill my action deck to full or close enough.

Also I reset a couple of times when the only path ahead was blocked by a difficult random event. Sure it's a pity to get rid of the board, but I knew I didn't need to backtrack and I would have wasted many more cards getting rid of the obstacle.
Posted
Try not to get bloody. If you do, try and get rid of it. Makes hunting much harder.

Build items. They help a lot.

With multiple adventurers, stay within the same 'block'. And then come together to go over 'bridges'. If you separate too much you can't work together on certain tasks.
Posted
Thefieryphoenix wrote:
Build items. They help a lot.

Build items and use them!
Don't be afraid of breaking them : the item cards are discared but they will be back later in your action deck, ready to be crafted again.
:resource_fire: Firebird :resource_fire: (Phoenixeux sur TT)
[DV :icon_curse::icon_curse::icon_succes:] [OG :icon_curse::icon_curse::icon_curse:*:icon_succes:] [LG :icon_succes:] [CD+SI :icon_curse::icon_curse:] [SI :icon_curse:] [CD :icon_curse::icon_success-left: :icon_success-right:**] [SI+TS en cours]
*[Histoire-T7C :icon_succes_7:] **[Pénitence :icon_curse:+Funéraille:icon_success-left:]
Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Strategies & Tactics13 posts