Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Rules and Operating Points5 messages
Posté - Edité
[Watch out]:
You may discard one card with the keyword "predator" and take another card bearing the same number before choosing which card you keep.

[Hunting ground]:
If at least one involved character is bloody, you must discard one of these cards without the keyword "predator". Choose one of the remaining cards, which represents your catch.

Which effect applies first?

The order matter if I reveal two hunt results [White hare] and [Snake]. The next hunt result card that I am about to draw is [Empty handed].

Scenario A: I get to apply [Watch Out!] first. I could get rid of [Snake] and apply Bloody effect to remove [Empty handed] and get to eat [White hare].

Scenario B: Bloody effect applies first. I lose [White hare]. I use [Watch Out] to replace [Snake] with [Empty handed]. Then I go hungry.
Posté
I'd play that you get to choose which order to apply them, but I don't have anything from the rulebook to back that up. It's just what I do in general, in any game -- if there are two effects that apply at the same time where the order matters and the order is unclear, the person controlling the effects chooses the order. In multiplayer games that can still be ambiguous if the effects are controlled by different players and you have to extend this rule with stuff about active players, but in a co-op like this it's never an issue.

This will not be the only timing ambiguity you face in 7C. We have the phases of an action, and we know that actions are one at a time, so anything that makes us take an action finishes the action phases for the current action before it starts them for the next one, but that's all we have. Many effects cause complicated resolution strings within a single phase, with effects that draw and process multiple new cards, choices and costs for the player, etc. Hunting's a good example. And for effects like that, we don't have any low-level timing rules. There's no formal stack or queue of effects and no formal definition of what would count as a single effect within a stack or queue.

We also don't have any timing rules for things that aren't actions, like the activated abilities on character cards. Most of them specify a phase of an action where they work, but some of them, like Frankenstein's ability, or the Vampolina botany card
that lets you return aggressiveness cards
don't have any timing information whatsoever. I believe the intention is that these abilities can be used literally whenever, but a common interpretation is that they can only be used between actions.

In the end, the answer to these questions makes a very small difference to the balance of a co-op game where it doesn't matter. If there's ambiguous timing, you can just decide if you want to rule in favor of the game being easier or harder, and then that's the right answer for you.
Posté - Edité
@StupidGiraffe : Next time, could you try to ask with an"Hello" introduction, please ?
It's important, particularly for a first message on the forum. :-)
resource_fire Firebird resource_fire (ma ludothèque)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
T7Citadel : card_type_temporary_event
Posté - Edité
brisingre a écrit :
If there's ambiguous timing, you can just decide if you want to rule in favor of the game being easier or harder, and then that's the right answer for you.

I agree.

In my game, I'd apply scenario (A) because I think that [Watch out] exists to change the hunting result in the author's mind.
resource_fire Firebird resource_fire (ma ludothèque)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
T7Citadel : card_type_temporary_event
Posté
Hi everyone! And thank you for the answer.
Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Rules and Operating Points5 messages