Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Rules and Operating Points7 posts
Posted - Edited
The rules (page 12) say:
You may freely combine any half-stars visible on the revealed cards as long as both their cards are facing the same way, in order to construct full gold stars.

I have two questions:

1) Does "freely" mean that if I draw two cards that each have both a left half and a right half of a star (but neither has a full star), I can combine each card's left half with the other card's right half to get 2 successes?

2) Does "you may" mean that if I have a skill test that for one reason or another I want to fail, and I draw two cards and one has only a left half and the other has only a right half, I can choose not to combine the star halves and end up with 0 successes?
:flag_curse_sm:1/7: VG 2017-09-07
Posted
this guy asking the important questions!
Posted
1) No, for sure.
You can freely combine the draw cards to optimize the number of entire stars, but when you have choosen a combination you only read the result. you don't add a second result from another combination.
In your example : [:icon_success-right: :icon_success-left:][:icon_success-right: :icon_success-left:] give you only 1 :icon_succes:.

2) I'm not sure.
I think that "you may" allows you to optimize the combination to ignore some :icon_success-left:+:icon_success-right: for the bad :icon_success-right:+:icon_success-left: version that you prefere in this case.
resource_fire Firebird resource_fire (ma ludothèque)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
T7Citadel : card_type_temporary_event
Posted
1) Agreed, (If this was legal there would be be no point in displaying two half stars this way)

2) No. This is also mentioned in the FAQ:
https://the7thcontinent.seriouspoulp.com/en/resources/faqs#rules

quote:
"You cannot choose the black frame by yourself after a success. You can choose to pick the less possible cards to increase chance of failing, but a success is a success (white effect), a fail is a fail (black effect)."
Posted
Skylla wrote:
2) No. This is also mentioned in the FAQ:
https://the7thcontinent.seriouspoulp.com/en/resources/faqs#rules

quote:
"You cannot choose the black frame by yourself after a success. You can choose to pick the less possible cards to increase chance of failing, but a success is a success (white effect), a fail is a fail (black effect)."

I don't have an opinion about the yes/no here, but I don't think the rules text you quote necessarily implies a "no" to the question asked.
The rules text talks about "after a success", but the act of combining stars is *before* you have a success, it is done in order to create a success.

I find a difference in the meaning of the text as written
You may freely combine any half-stars visible on the revealed cards as long as both their cards are facing the same way, in order to construct full gold stars.

and this example of alternative text (minimally edited by me to show my point)
Any half-stars visible on the revealed cards are combined as long as both their cards are facing the same way, in order to construct full gold stars.

The phrasing of the former certainly implies a choice. If this is the intention, only the creators could say.
Posted
I put a flag on this topic for the creators. :-)
resource_fire Firebird resource_fire (ma ludothèque)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
T7Citadel : card_type_temporary_event
Posted
I see your point. I still feel you would have to create a success possible but perhaps the designers did mean for people to have a choice when they draw the right cards.

We will see
Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Rules and Operating Points7 posts