Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Equipment and After Sales4 posts
Posted
I previously bought a copy of the game second hand. Since I haven't followed the game until more recently, I'm having a little trouble identifying the version (first or second) edition, and I have verified that it is missing the "updated" cards, like A0374, which is 048, and is supposed to have thumbs up on the front. I, maybe incorrectly, assumed this would be updated automatically by SP, so I hadn't checked previously.

So my two questions are how to identify the version of the game and more importantly, how to get the newer versions of these cards? I see "replacement cards for second edition" on Ebay, but I'm not sure that is what I am needing, if I have a first edition base box. I've opened a ticket with after sales, but thought I would ask here to see if anyone has any guidance.
Posted - Edited
A first edition that hasn't had the upgrade pack will be missing a few dividers (Character skills, 051, a couple others I think?)

A 'true' second edition might be identifiable from mismatched backs between the named curses and the action deck, or by cards miscut by a couple mm. Sometimes these are sold with just the cards, because people got the 2.5 printing for free. Anything without a box on ebay is probably this.

A reprinted second edition (2.5th edition?) that is new in shrink will have a sticker identifying it as such. Sometimes you see just the reprinted cards for sale without the rest of the game, in smaller white box. A 2nd edition with the 2.5 cards integrated into it is pretty much only identifiable from a 2nd edition that hasn't by looking for those printing problems, which not every 2nd edition had.

It will be more difficult to tell a first edition with the upgrade included from a second or 2.5 edition. I do not know if you'll be able to get the upgrade pack anywhere unfortunately -- they're not the kind of thing likely to be flipped on ebay, I think your best bet is to hope that SP has some in a closet still.
Posted
Thanks for the explanation. So is it the second edition that had all the printing screw ups? I believe I can say I must have a true first edition base game, because it is missing a couple of those dividers and I can identify all the pre "upgrade pack" cards in the box having the old versions, not the updated ones.

As far as I can tell the cards are all the same sizes and there's nothing grossly mismatching with the color of the backs. (Yes there's some slight variability, but nothing that makes any one card stand out as "YES, I KNOW WHICH ONE THAT IS!") So it doesn't sound like the first edition had as many manufacturing issues as the second edition.

As an aside, I did find the upgrade pack in the WGUMCD box. I guess I had managed to overlook it previously. If anyone else is unsure what this looks like, it's a very small collection of cards in shrinkwrap, with a few dividers, and one of those "white slips" like all the expansions have that identifies it as what it is, all in a single ziplock baggie.
Posted
It is the second printing that had the screw ups. First edition is fine in that respect.

Glad you found the upgrade pack -- it was going to be a pain to track down and a lot of the changes in that pack were originally gamebreaking to various degrees (mostly :card_pick: boxes with the wrong numbers on terrain cards.)
Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Equipment and After Sales4 posts