Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Card effect12 posts
Posted
267 Item & Paranoid effects in solo game
If Im playing solo, do I have to take the Paranoid even though there is never going to be another player this game? Or am I still paranoid that I may lose Item 267?
Posted
I didn't check the 267 Item but I think the answer is general.
Yes, even in solo, you have to take the Paranoid state to check if you see a :discard: symbol.
After that, of course, you can return it immedialy (because you valid the condition to return it).
resource_fire Firebird resource_fire (ma ludothèque)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
T7Citadel : card_type_temporary_event
Posted - Edited
Hm, Okay. I kept it to be safe (to not 'cheat') but wasn't positive.
In #267s case though,
you keep the Paranoid card no matter what; as long as you have the Item.
Posted
Firebird wrote:
I didn't check the 267 Item but I think the answer is general.
Yes, even in solo, you have to take the Paranoid state to check if you see a :discard: symbol.
After that, of course, you can return it immedialy (because you valid the condition to return it).

The last line of this response is, in my opinion, taken out of context in a Swedish forum discussion and being interpreted as a response to the real question here - i.e. what happens when you have the 267 item in this situation. Clarification in the case of the 267 item (and solo character) would be appreciated.

Myself I understand it just like already posted:

DoctorNny wrote:
In #267s case though,
you keep the Paranoid card no matter what; as long as you have the Item.
Posted
I don't have my box with me. Could you please copy the exact text of the #267 card ? (in a spoiler tag of course)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
Posted - Edited
Firebird wrote:
Could you please copy the exact text of the #267 card ?

Photo of card:
Posted - Edited
Thank you.

In my opinion, it is clear because the text of that card gives a additional prohibition to the effect of the Paranoïd card.

Fictif example :
State [Headache] : :action_condition::action_play_music:
Effect : If possible, return an [050] you have in :icon_journal:. Draw [050]. Then return this card.

If you have the #267 card (applied to Headache instead of Paranoïd), you will able to make a :action_play_music: action and use the :action_condition: effect : you will switch the [050] cards but you won't return the state card.

In the case of the Paranoïd card, the prohibition ask to ignore the whole effect of the state. That's the only difference with my example.

Just apply the text. :-)
Posted - Edited
Thanks for your response!

To complicate things further though, consider the situation of having the 267 card and a Paranoid state card in hand and then revealing a second Paranoid state card.

The rules (page 16) states that
When a player reveals a State card, if the :discard: icon can be seen on it, then they must immediately discard as many cards from the top of the Action Deck as they have Character/State cards in hand – unless an effect prevents them from getting that state.
[...]
The player must then add this :icon_hand_orange: card to their hand, unless an effect prevents them from getting that state.
If they already have a State card with the same title in hand, they must return it to the Adventure Deck and replace it with the State card they have just taken

Since card 267 says
You may not return your paranoid state as long as you have this in hand.

and we all know that (page 5)
Important! Card text overrides this rulebook.

it seems that the character would then have multiple Paranoid cards in hand. Is that correctly interpreted?
Posted
Oooh... Tricky case ! :silly:

You're interpretation seems valid but I don't think that it is the right one for the author. I'll ask him.
There are 5 state cards in the box which is the good number to apply the rule in a 4 players game. In your case, it could miss some state cards... :dizzy:
Posted
I agree, I don't think this is the designer's intention, and I would not play it this way. Just being tricky, but an official word would be nice. :)
Posted
I just talk about your case with BrunoS !

I confirm that the official version is :
The rule to replace an existing :icon_hand_orange: State card in hand is ALWAYS valid.
Consider this as an exception of the Golden Rule [Important! Card text overrides this rulebook.]
Only one card of each type of State per player : that's the intention.

Congratulations, Krbj, for this tricky trick ! :-P:thumb_up:
Posted
I am most happy that the official version aligns with my humbly preferred version. :)

I pray that we may all keep playing as our designers intended and be kept safe from the abominable corruptions of benighted literalism. :angel:
Forums/ The 7th Continent/ Card effect12 posts